Thursday, July 28, 2016

New Leadership Book Integrates Heart, Head, and Hands

Last night John Bryson and I walked across the street from our condo and bought ice cream cones to celebrate the arrival of my new book Teaching Leadership: An Integrative Approach. The book was at least seven years in the making: I devoted some of my sabbatical in 2009-10 to deepening my understanding of effective teaching and leadership development in order to prepare for the book. Then when I returned to the Humphrey School in the fall of 2010, I started working with my colleagues Gary DeCramer and Jodi Sandfort to outline a book that would capture our approach to leadership education at Humphrey and highlight essential leadership practices.

Eventually these conversations extended to more than two dozen accomplished leadership educators in the U.S. and elsewhere. The result is a book that I avidly hope can help novice and seasoned leadership educators alike better prepare themselves for their important work. The book integrates the “heart, head, and hands” of leadership practice. By heart I mean the passions and core values that energize leadership work. Head refers to key leadership theories and research findings. Hands refers to the careful work of conducting learning experiences inside and outside the classroom.

I am especially appreciative of all the Humphrey and University of Minnesota colleagues who contributed their ideas and experiences to the book. I have mentioned John, Jodi and Gary already. Others are Kevin Gerdes, Kathy Quick, and June Nobbe. The book is described further at https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138825048.

By: Barbara C. Crosby

Barbara C. Crosby is associate professor at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs and former academic co-director of the Center for Integrative Leadership at the University of Minnesota. She has taught and written extensively about leadership and public policy, integrative leadership, cross-sector collaboration, women in leadership, media and public policy, and strategic planning. She is the author of Leadership for Global Citizenship (1999) and co-author with John M. Bryson of (Leadership for the Common Good: Tackling Public Problems in a Shared-Power World 2d. ed. 2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment